26 November, 2008

Gobble, Gobble!!

Happy Thanksgiving!! Yes, it’s the time of the year when most American families look forward to the turkey and dressing, cranberry sauce, greens and sweet potato pie. It’s up early to get everything on the stove for the big family dinner. While the food is cooking, there’s time to turn on the world famous Macy’s Parade and watch all of the giant balloon characters bounce down the streets of New York. After the parade, it’s time to set the table (or tables, depending on your gathering) and start putting the food out. Most families bless the food and go around the table so that everyone can say what they are thankful for. Several forkfuls later, tummies are poufed out, belts are loosened and everyone sits back to relax and revel in the feeling of being full.

As for me, I plan to make a few phone calls to out of town friends, watch a few movies, and chow down on my favorite…Gino’s East pizza! For me this year, it’s the simple pleasures.

Speaking of simple pleasures…I found something so cute that I just had to share.


Turkey Cupcakes (from Betty Crocker)

1 box Betty Crocker SuperMoist devil’s food cake mix
Water, vegetable oil and eggs per the cake mix box
2 – 1lb containers Better Crocker Rich & Creamy milk chocolate frosting
1 – 4.25oz tube Betty Crocker white decorating icing
1 – 0.68oz tube Betty Crocker brown decorating gel
Candy corn
Chocolate candy sprinkles

Heat oven to 350°F. Make and cool 24 cupcakes as directed on box. Frost. Place remaining frosting in a zip seal freezer plastic bag. Snip off small corner of bag. To decorate each cupcake, pipe 1-inch mound of frosting on one side of cupcake to look like the head of a turkey. Make eyes with white icing and brown gel. Add candy corn for beak. To make feathers, pipe frosting on opposite side to hold candy corn. Place candy corn to look like feathers. Sprinkle chocolate candy sprinkles near head and at base of feathers. Add candy corn for feet. Smile at how cute they are and eat!!

Tomorrow is the day now commonly referred to as Black Friday! The name of the game is sales, sales, sales for the start of the Christmas Season. Stores are opening early and offering great discounts to those who are brave enough to face the time, temperatures and the crowds. If you are one of the ones who will be out in the fun, I wish you much luck in finding everything you are searching for and more!! I would love to be out in the fun, but unfortunately my economy won't allow it.

There are so many things to be thankful for that most of us rarely even scratch the surface. So many things that we take for granted. There are so many things that I am grateful for…and so many things that I need to be more grateful for. But right now I am thankful that you have taken this time with me reading and supporting my blog! Thank you!! I really am grateful for you!!

No matter how you celebrate Thanksgiving, I hope that you find a few moments to really think of all of the things you have been blessed with and express your gratitude. And it's also a GREAT time to tell those that you love that you do love them!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Luv,
Pixxa

No comments: