10 November, 2008

Let's celebrate...HAMBURGERS!!

Even though May is National Hamburger Month, I thought today would be a great day to celebrate hamburgers! This is probably because I've been craving a really good hamburger lately. And can you believe that I haven't been able to find it? You'd think that would be an easy feat in Chicago, but I am still in search of that wonderful burger.

originally posted to Flickr by hellochris at http://flickr.com/photos/65459962@N00/202508906

According to Wikipedia "A hamburger (or burger) is a sandwich consisting of a cooked ground meat patty, usually beef, placed in a sliced bun or between pieces of bread or toast. Hamburgers are often served with various condiments, such as ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise, relish etc. as well as lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles, and cheese."

My perfect burger is a nice fresh beef patty between a toasted bun, dripping with cheese, ketchup and mustard. If there's a pickle on board, I'll pluck it off and eat that first. Sometimes grilled onions are okay (never raw) and hardly ever will I eat lettuce, tomatoes or mayonnaise. I prefer good old fashioned, greasy ground beef as opposed to chuck or round. It's gotta be juicy!!

While history can't say with certainty when the first hamburger was created, we do know it was long ago. This site will give you an interesting history of ground meat and burgers. And if you'd like to make your own special hamburger this site claims to be THE place for hamburger recipes. The one I found most interesting is the bacon and banana burger. I don't think so! But as of late, and without a doubt, the most expensive burger sells for $5,000 in Las Vegas' Fleur de Lys at Mandalay Bay. The burger, (a kobe burger stuffed with foie gras and black truffle, served on a brioche truffle bun and garnished with Chef Keller's special sauce) is so good that it comes with a free bottle of 13 year old wine (Chateau Petrus 1995...the real reason for the price tag).

Back down here on earth, I recently visited Red Robin (touted as America's Gourmet Burgers and Spirits). I had the 5-alarm burger. It was good (I like spicy), but it just didn't hit the spot. I regret that I didn't try something super cheesy.
So I will keep looking for that perfect burger...but until I find it, I will celebrate the journey!! (It's definitely yummy!!)
And who could celebrate the hamburger without a tribute to the Top 11 Weirdest Burgers!! My favorites are the Sneaker burger, the Hamburger dress and best of all the Beef Font. Check them out.

I couldn't close out this celebration of the hamburger without the most famous hamburger line of all...





Until next time...CELEBRATE!!

Luv,

Pixxa

3 comments:

Mar said...

I also enjoy a good greasy hamburger, dripping with cheese, but i like mine with lettuce, mayo and tomato. No mustard or ketchup. I like the burgers at Flukys and Donald's (not Mc). On another subject, what do you think of e-vites. I am hosting a new year's ever party with some friends and i want to send out snail mail invites, but i'm afraid noone pays attention to snail mail anymore. What do you think?

Pixxa said...

I've not had a burger from Flukys and Donalds, but I would love to try them. If you get a chance can you let me know where they are (Google is not cooperating)?

As far as evites...I think they are fine (despite the fact that I make and sell invitations), but only for casual events. I find that fewer people pay attention to emails/evites than snail mail invitations---I think people tend to open paper mail before they read emails that don't look as though they need an urgent response. If you decide to send a snail mail invite, I would suggest doing something special to the envelope (like printing in large letters, maybe as a watermark "you're invited" or "party" or something to make it stand out and make people want to open it. And make sure to get your holiday party invitations out earlier than the usual 2 weeks before. People have alot going on and need time to plan.

Have a fun party!!!

D7ana said...

Cheeseburgers are okay, but here in Philly, we have cheese steaks. For the few who have not heard of Philly cheese steaks, the steak is shaved beef that is fried, usually with fried onions. Yum. Add melted provolone cheese, and you have a scrumptious, juicy sandwich. Spanish fries -- french fries tossed with fried peppers and fried onions -- will seal the meal and keep you satisfied until the next day. (If you survive the fat content of the meal LOL.)

Glad to see Pixxa and Nolee enjoying the burgers. Not sure what the name of Pixxa's hubby is, but glad to see him enjoying his juicy burgers, too.

D7ana
http://www.phillycollector.blogspot.com/