27 July, 2009

Celebrating...Unpacking!!

A few posts ago, I mentioned that I had recently traveled to Washington, DC. May not have mentioned that I was attending the National Barbie Doll Convention. Yes, I said Barbie Convention...I am a Barbie doll afterall!! ;D

So what goes on at a Barbie Convention you might ask. It starts with a pre-convention activity called Room Shopping. This is where attendees open up their hotel rooms and sell items to other conventioneers. You find all kinds of things...clothes, jewelry, art, furniture and more for both dolls and people. Room shopping is a great opportunity to meet fellow Barbie collectors and find out about their collections. The convention usually starts on Wednesday evening with an opening reception. Then during the course of the next few days there are workshops and lectures, a competition room, a fashion show where Barbie comes to life, there is a silent auction and raffle room, there's a souvenir shop and usually a meal event each day. There are also groups that plan mini-parties and get-togethers as old friends come together again. The final event is a closing dinner where the official convention doll is presented.

For Barbie lovers, it's days of non-stop fun as you reconnect with past friends, meet new friends and live, talk and be all things Barbie. This year, being the 50th anniversary of Barbie's introduction, the convention was bigger and better than ever with much more fun than any of us 1100+ conventioneers had imagined. For more information on the next convention go to http://www.blogger.com/www.barbieconvention.com

But this post is supposed to be about celebrating unpacking. Why you might ask...because I've been back home for over 2 weeks and I haven't unpacked yet. I LOVE traveling and really have no problem when it comes to packing to leave, but the absolute worst part of a trip for me is unpacking. So I am writing this post as kind of an accountability check for me...I am committing to unpacking all of my bags this week. I am posting it here so that I can make unpacking a positive experience and nothing to dread. Unpacking should be celebrated because as you unpack, you have the chance to relive your trip. "When I had these jeans out I was eating dinner with so and so". So here I am committing to you that I will unpack this week and I will enjoy it...I'll be celebrating as I unpack.

Here are a few pix from the Barbie Comvention for you to enjoy.

Checking out the room shopping board to see who is selling what and where.

The convention officially starts.

Going to check in for the Barbie Fan Club.

There are life-sized dolls all around.

Here I am enjoying a cocktail at the opening night Beach Party Reception.

Here I am re-connecting with my old friends at the Meet & Greet.

This is the first night's dinner. It was sponsored by Dylan's Candy...yum!

Our table hostess gave us all pretty dolls and made our table look so pretty.

And isn't my dress adorable?!!!

My Auntie Julie turned 40 during convention and had a birthday party. Here I am next to the cake (the best place to be during a party!).

Here we are at the dinner on Friday night.

And here I am with my good friends Samantha and Barbz and their adorable puppies.

Here I am on my way to the final night's dinner.

Isn't our table lovely?!!

And our table hostess gave us yet another new friend for me to bring home with me (she gave us one at each dinner). Our tablehostess, Barb is FAB!!!

Okay...that's enough pix for now. I will post some of sites in DC later this week.

Celebrate! Luv Ya!!

Pixxa

No comments: